Belize Digital Nomad Visa
The Belize Digital Nomad Visa is “A Long Stay Visitor Permit” and is a permit granted to any person who intends to stay in Belize for an extended period of time.
Belize is a great destination for digital nomads looking for a tropical paradise to work remotely. The island of Ambergris Caye has some of the fastest internet speeds in the region, with a very reliable network. San Pedro Town, Mahogany Bay Village, and areas of Ambergris Caye have Fibre Optic. Other areas have high-speed LTE service.
The country offers a long-term visa specifically designed for digital nomads, which makes it easy to stay in the country for extended periods of time.
A Long Stay Permit is valid for 6 months after the date issued. The Digital Nomad Visa is done through Immigration, which enables a person and their dependents to remain in Belize for up to 6 months.
The Digital Nomad Visa eliminates the back and forth with immigration every month for a tourist visa extension.
Yes! Belize has a visa suitable for digital nomads called “Work where You Vacation”.
This is Belize’s attempt to attract digital nomads and remote workers from all over the world who want to stay in the country for 6 months, with the opportunity to extend the period.
Belize Digital Nomad Visa
The Work Where You Vacation or Long Stay Visitor Permit (Digital Nomad Visa) program includes:
- Work permits waived for participants
- Student permits waived for children of participants
- Special offers on activities, entertainment, and accommodations through “Work Where You Vacation” lodging partners.
Belize Digital Nomad Visa Requirements
The documents required to apply for the Belize Digital Nomad Visa are the following:
- Proof of employment outside of Belize (min. annual income of USD $75,000 for individuals, USD $100,000 for couples/families)
- A notarized banking reference and statement of account
- A clear criminal record (no more than 6 months old)
- A valid passport
Belize Digital Nomad Visa Fees
- USD $500 per Adult.
- USD $200 per Child
Fees apply to the applicant and any accompanying dependents.
Who Qualifies for the Digital Nomad Visa
Applicants who meet the below requirements can apply:
- The applicant is a citizen or permanent resident of the European Union, United Kingdom, United States of America, or Canada.
- The applicant is employed outside of Belize and
- has a minimum annual income of USD $75,000 if the person is applying alone or
- has a minimum annual income of USD $100,000 if the person is applying with dependents.
- A person issued a Long Stay Permit shall be entitled to enter and remain in Belize along with their dependents for a period NOT exceeding six months in any calendar year, as stated in the permit.
- A person issued a Long Stay Permit or his dependents shall not engage in employment in Belize.
- A permit issued by the department under this section shall not be extended.
- A Job Letter is issued within 30 days of the application if the applicant is employed by another person.
- Proof of registration of business and annual tax return if the applicant is self-employed.
- Proof of annual income in the amount of at least:
- USD $75,000, if the person is applying alone; or
- USD $100,000, if the person is applying with dependents.
- Notarized banking reference and Statement of Account.
- Police Record from the applicant’s country of residence, issued within six months of application.
- Certified copy of the bio-data page of the Applicant’s passport and Certified Copies of the bio-data page of each dependent’s passport.
- If the Applicant’s nationality is not in the Approved Countries List but resides in a country that is on the list, then the Applicant must provide Proof of Residence.
Internet on Ambergris Caye
Internet and connectivity on the island are top of the line with some of the fastest internet speeds in the region. Back in 2017, San Pedro went through significant upgrades. Now the town of San Pedro has some of the fastest internet speeds in Belize. In 2017, Ambergris Caye had a fiber-optic submarine cable installed with connectivity to San Pedro, enabling super-fast broadband speeds to the island of Ambergris Caye.
Since 2017, San Pedro Ambergris Caye has boasted the fastest internet in the country. Super fast Fiber-based Internet up to 130Mbps for home or business.
The Fiber Optic runs from Maskall to Bomba, and from Bomba to the coastline. From there, there is an underground via an SFOC to the island of San Pedro.
Most of Belize has WIFI with an LTE signal. However, there are places that boast stronger, more consistent internet like Ambergris Caye. With the high volume of tourism and the influx of expats that have moved to the country, and Ambergris Caye in particular, the service has improved to meet demand.
There are 2 primary providers of the internet in Ambergris Caye, Belize: SMART & Digi. Digi offers Fiber Optic internet with the fastest speeds. SMART offers reliable internet and is a popular alternative for areas that do not have fiber optic internet. You can see the rates and internet speeds below;
Prices are in Belize Dollars
Prices are in Belize Dollars
About the Belize Digital Nomad Visa
With the growing popularity of the digital nomad lifestyle, Belize is following many countries trying to lure digital nomads with tools and resources to work remotely. The Belize digital nomad visa is part of the Work Where You Vacation program, allowing digital nomads to live in the country for up to six months. It’s open to everyone working for a company based outside of Belize.
While the Belize Digital Nomad visa is only valid for six months, those who wish to extend their stay can apply for an extension. When you get approved for the Belize digital nomad visa, you will receive a permit to live temporarily in Belize. Applicants will also have the option to bring their dependents and spouses.